Saturday, July 10, 2010

Bender's Big Score (for free-kinda)


Thanks to Netflix, everything Futurama (all four seasons and the straight-to-dvd movies) are available for live viewing on Netflix Instant (or whatever it's called). Seeing how I've never seen the straight-to-dvd Futurama movies, I decided to start with that. And sometimes when you start something, it's good to start at the beginning. Other times, like when reading magazines, it is preferable to start at the end. At least for me.

Anyway. I just finished watching Bender's Big Score, the first of the four straight-to-dvd movies. It started off kind of badly, spending the first 5 minutes or so making fun of Fox for dropping the show. But it got better as it went along. There were two song-and-dance routines for reasons I'm not entirely sure. The first involved The Professor singing about something or another. It wasn't very good. The second musical segment involved Robot Santa, Kwanzabot, and the Chanukah Zombie singing in Santa's toy factory. It was better but still a little unnecessary. I mean, what it this, Mary Poppins?

Overall, I liked it despite the slow start (yes, I understand that Fox is run by a bunch of morons, after all, they wanted George Lucas to include rock songs in Star Wars Episode IV) and the musical segments which felt like someone said "Oh! We have 88 minutes to fill. We can do whatever we want! Bwah ha ha!" It was definitely worth the price of the already paid Netflix subscription. And I might want to own it one day. But not before owning the other seasons (already have Season 3!). It was good. I'd watch Bender's Big Score again. But it's not as good as a full season. Next on the Netflix Instant agenda: The Beast With a Billion Backs.

2 comments:

Wendi said...

there are random musical numbers in my new favorite TV show, Pushing Daisies. i think to make use of kristen chenowith, the star of wicked. anyway, jasey thinks they're totally unnecessary, but i like them! they're surreal, but the whole show is surreal.

Grover Cleveland said...

I like musical segments that are surreal. 500 Days Of Summer had a great one involving Joseph Gordon Levitt seeing himself as Han Solo (and other stuff going on). It was great.